Couple of things to keep in mind…
A lot of people use lozenges to relieve sore throat. Sometimes they keep one in their cheek round the clock. Caution: that keeps it in contact with the teeth for a long time and that can cause cavities.
If you have to use them, here are a few suggestions:
- Try to use sugar free lozenges.
- Try not to keep them in your mouth all the time.
- Rinse with water or mouth wash after using a lozenge.
- Try to avoid keeping them in your mouth for the whole night.
- Use tooth paste with fluoride or ask me for a prescription toothpaste that protects the teeth better.
Some people take antihistamines or allergy meds to keep the symptoms down. Most of these meds cause the mouth to be dry. The lack of saliva means that the food particles won’t get washed away and will stay in contact with the teeth for a long time. This might lead to formation of cavities.
- Keep sipping water all day to keep mouth moist.
- Use a tooth paste with fluoride in it or a prescription toothpaste to strengthen the surface of the teeth.